Periodontics in Chingford
Referral Periodontal treatments are provided by our resident specialist Dr Shiehfung Tay
GDC No: 249317
Dr Tay is a General Dental Council registered Specialist in Periodontics and works mainly in private practice. She is also a Senior Clinical Teaching Fellow at the UCL Eastman Dental Institute. Her current and past positions include lecturing as well as supervising postgraduate dentists and assisting in clinical researches.
Dr Tay qualified as a dentist in 2004 from the University of Malaya, Malaysia. Having exposed to different work experience including general dental practice and hospital-based specialist units, she then completed her MFDS exam from the Royal College of Surgeons (England) in 2008. Thereafter she went for a 3-year full time specialist training program focusing on Periodontology and Implant Dentistry at the UCL Eastman Dental Institute. At the end of the training, she was awarded distinction for her Master in Clinical Dentistry and at the same time, she obtained a Certificate in Periodontology by the European Federation of Periodontology (EFP).
Dr Tay has extensive experience in managing advance gum disease as well as cosmetic reconstruction of smiles. Her main focus is on non-surgical and surgical periodontal treatment including periodontal regenerative approach using evidence-based techniques. She also practices implant dentistry and she is trained in managing peri-implant infection and diseases.
Dr Tay has also a keen interest in the areas of cosmetic reconstruction of smiles and this includes improving gummy smiles and reducing / eliminating gum recession. She works closely with her colleagues of other specialties to restore functional dentition and achieve aesthetically pleasing smiles.
Her approach to therapy is based on prevention and minimal intervention while ensuring patient satisfaction.
- Management of periodontal disease and peri-implant disease, including non-surgical debridement and surgical therapy
- Periodontal regenerative surgery
- Periodontal maintenance
- Dental implants with or without grafting
- Aesthetic crown lengthening and gum contouring to achieve symmetrical smile line or improve gummy smile
- Removal of aberrant frenulum (frenotomy / frenectomy)
- Root coverage surgery to cover exposed root surfaces in areas with gum recession
- Increasing keratinised tissue or soft tissue correction around tooth and dental implant
- Extraction and socket preservation
- Gingival veneer